View Single Post
Old January 31 2014, 04:05 PM   #29
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: Best TV Show Ever Comes to DVD End of April

ToddPence wrote: View Post
While I certainly don't condone the use of death threats, if I had been responsible for something like the Fugitive music atrocity, I would certainly expect to receive them. And whatever "nasty insults" the perpetrators of such a betrayal of the public trust received were well and fully deserved.
As to this whole "Let's not make the companies mad my criticizing them, they might stop releasing old shows altogether!" line of argument - well, there's a term for individuals who adopt such an attitude. It was originally coined by a Miss Harriet Beecher Stowe as part of the title of a novel she wrote in the 1850's. (Although Stowe's titular character was noble and self-sacrificing in her original book, the term has come to be identified with those who act with fawning sympathy towards individuals in power in order to curry favor with them.)
I don't see the drama. If a company misrepresents its product, I agree that is serious and should have significant ramifications for them. If the video release was not misrepresented and simply doesn't meet your expectations, you get your money back. But when the mere possibility of a home video set not meeting ones expectations is considered worse than having HIV, that's a whole different level than I'm operating on.

It's been seven years since Fox Video decided not to release HSB seasons 3 through 7 on DVD. That's plenty of time for someone to negotiate home video or streaming rights, and Shout!Factory has apparently been the one to put the deal together. As I said before, I have other sets from the company and have been satisfied. If the HSB release is substandard I'll get my money back and be no worse off than before.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote