View Single Post
Old January 31 2014, 02:54 PM   #44
Blip
Fleet Captain

Re: New Orleans-Class

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Probert's Enterprise-C was the canon design for the Ambassador Class until the VFX model came along.
A minor point here, but if memory serves, the class wasnt even named until the events of YE.

Well, I'd say it changed our idea what a vessel of the Ambassador Class would look like.
If we go by that model wall, then all of the different iterations of the Enterprise were somewhat out of proportion and lacking in detail than their real-life counterparts - would you treat that as gospel too? Regardless, the studio filming miniature is the vessel that was shown consistently portraying starships referred to as Ambassador-class, not simply some set-dressing background model.

His design for the Enterprise-C is canon in the "real" TNG universe. The other one we saw was the Enterprise-C in an alternate reality universe!
No.As has been pointed out already, the Enterprise-C from the primary timeline entered the rift, after which it emerged into the alternate future created by its own disappearance.

It's possible that an Ambassador Class ship became the Enterprise-C in the alternate universe.
See above.

The sculptures are rather well defined as we can distinct the TOS Enterprise from the Enterprise-A. And they are defined enough to realize that the Enterprise-C on the wall and the one that showed up in "Yesterday's Enterprise" are not the same type of ship.
A point of view which ignores other flubs, such as the Ent-B depicted incorrectly as a vanilla Excelsior build. The simple fact is that the model wall, as with any other set decoration, was only legitimate until corrected onscreen by the real vessel designs.

Anyhew, going back to the New Orleans.... (sort of)

Dukhat just because refits weren't obviously portrayed in repeated movies or episodes as being de rigeur for ships in the fleet, doesn't mean they didn't happen. For example, I'd suspect that the Reliant and her sisters of similar low registries were at least partial refits (bearing in mind 1701 was commissioned in the 2240s).

It could simply be that the older designs still in service by TNG didn't need any refitting (beyond what could be accomplished by interior systems' upgrades) as they were no longer serving as frontline ships.

For later-registry vessels however, they may have reached the point in their life-cycle where a major refit had been scheduled (or perhaps more likely warranted as part of the fleet improvements post Wolf 359?)
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote