View Single Post
Old January 30 2014, 11:59 PM   #27
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

Re: Best TV Show Ever Comes to DVD End of April

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post

The complaining (which in most instances consisted of death threats and nasty insults issued to executives and reviewers) didn't really accomplish anything beyond The Fugitive being issued on DVD and likely nothing else older except for Star Trek, Perry Mason, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Mission: Impossible, Hawaii Five-O and I Love Lucy plus some more recent shows being on DVD. What was accomplished other than making Paramount leery of doing old shows?
While I certainly don't condone the use of death threats, if I had been responsible for something like the Fugitive music atrocity, I would certainly expect to receive them. And whatever "nasty insults" the perpetrators of such a betrayal of the public trust received were well and fully deserved.
As to this whole "Let's not make the companies mad my criticizing them, they might stop releasing old shows altogether!" line of argument - well, there's a term for individuals who adopt such an attitude. It was originally coined by a Miss Harriet Beecher Stowe as part of the title of a novel she wrote in the 1850's. (Although Stowe's titular character was noble and self-sacrificing in her original book, the term has come to be identified with those who act with fawning sympathy towards individuals in power in order to curry favor with them.)
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote