View Single Post
Old January 30 2014, 10:44 PM   #40
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: New Orleans-Class

Dukhat wrote: View Post
The Sternbach-designed, Greg Jein-built Ambassador class model is the canon design for the class.
Probert's Enterprise-C was the canon design for the Ambassador Class until the VFX model came along.

It will always be the canon design for the class.
Well, I'd say it changed our idea what a vessel of the Ambassador Class would look like.

With apologies to Andy Probert, whose work I love and whose original Ent-C design I love too, his version is not canon.
His design for the Enterprise-C is canon in the "real" TNG universe. The other one we saw was the Enterprise-C in an alternate reality universe!
It's possible that an Ambassador Class ship became the Enterprise-C in the alternate universe. So instead of insisting we are looking at a canon contradiction, the Probert Enterprise-C in the real TNG universe may have belonged to a different class and the only erroneous part about it is assuming it's a member of the Ambassador Class.

An ill-defined sculpture on a wall with other ill-defined ships does not a canon design make, regardless of how much we saw it on screen.
The sculptures are rather well defined as we can distinct the TOS Enterprise from the Enterprise-A. And they are defined enough to realize that the Enterprise-C on the wall and the one that showed up in "Yesterday's Enterprise" are not the same type of ship.

We saw Picard's desktop model of the Stargazer all seven seasons, but only saw the actual ship once. The model's registry is NCC-7100, while the Stargazer filming model's registry is NCC-2893. Are we supposed to disregard the registry on the actual filming model because we saw the desktop model more? I don't think so.
Well, I'd first need to see a scene from TNG where the desktop model's registry was really readable.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote