View Single Post
Old January 29 2014, 06:17 PM   #34
Blip
Fleet Captain

Re: New Orleans-Class

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
You mean Grissom didn't look old because ILM didn't "dirty" her or that she didn't look old because she had this iPod / Apple white coating (this would be some retroactive reasoning, because such white Apple products did not yet exist back in 1983)?

Bob
Um, you seem a little upset about this? I can't see why, but nonetheless my reasoning has nothing to do with any of the above. I say she doesn't look "old" because she shares more design cues with the Excelsior (and to a lesser extent, the Enterprise) than with any examples that we've seen from TOS or prior, while if we were to go with the linear-registry mode of thought her number argues that she be an older vessel. Hence, a heavy refit is perfectly plausible. YMMV, but that's my take on it, and I'm sticking with it.

Mark Nguyen wrote:
Agreed, "looking" old is completely subjective, since some people think NX-01 looks more advanced than NCC-1701; similarly I think the Excelsior looks more advanced than the Ambassador, but I'm perfectly happy thinking it's an older ship. Everyone's mileage varies.
Well to be fair we do know the Ent-C as seen on screen was the result of TV budget constraints and a necessarily rapid construction by the model team. If Probert's original concept had been adhered to she'd have looked substantially more advanced (though for some reason I still prefer the uprated Ambassador types we saw, such as the Zhukov).

As for the NX-01, honestly the less said about that the better.
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote