View Single Post
Old January 28 2014, 09:00 AM   #37
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Re: If Nazi's had not been defeated space timeline reasonable?

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Silvercrest wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if that supports my point or contradicts it. Surely the development of the transistor went faster due to wartime pressure for better/more efficient/more compact controls.
Exactly. Since it was so soon after the war, I think it supports it.
Thanks! But having said that:

gturner wrote: View Post
The transistor was a direct outgrowth of the need for a better, more reliable solid-state diode for radar sets, to replace troublesome point-contact devices (galena crystals and the like).

So getting back to what technology would've made a difference, AT&T barely beat some German researchers to the transistor, and even during the war some Germans were thinking of building computers using relays. So it would be pretty simple to posit that they got transistors early in the war, or even prior.
I'm not sure we're on the same topic unless I missed something in an earlier post. I don't think there's any argument that the Germans would have put the transistor to good use if they got it first. But all we were discussing was whether the war accelerated the development of transistors and the technology necessary for a space program. Regardless of who had it.

I suppose the very fact that you're bringing up "who got it first" means you agree. Can't have a technology race without something getting accelerated.

But something that would've dealt an almost insurmountable blow to the Allied strategic bombing effort was actually within their reach, if they'd have thought of it, and that is the IR homing Sidewinder missile, which only used period technology and can fly on only eight vacuum tubes. They wouldn't have been horribly useful against fighters at first, but would've devastated large bomber streams.

If those had been available fairly early, the Allies couldn't have achieved air superiority, the bombers would've suffered too many losses to maintain a strategic bombing campaign, and when they were finally married up with the Me-163 and Me-262, the Third Reich would get its roof back.
Ouch! Never heard that one before. That's spooky.

If wars were run by people who actually use their brains, we'd all be in trouble!
Silvercrest is online now   Reply With Quote