Thread: Kotor 1 vs 2
View Single Post
Old January 26 2014, 08:18 PM   #9
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Kotor 1 vs 2

I only played the two games in the last year or so, and (like Reverend) I had installed the Restored Content Mod so I didn't experience the buggy and unfinished game that KOTOR 2 supposedly was at release. As such, I think the second game was better.

Firstly, let me just say that I did not like the combat system in the games. I appreciate that there are those that like that sort of turn-based system, but it just doesn't appeal to me. As such, I can't say that either game will be joining my list of favourite games. But I did enjoy the stories, role-play elements, and settings of both games.

Other than the twist, the first game tells a fairly generic Star Wars story. A hero rises, becomes a Jedi, defeats a great evil, and there's a celebratory party to finish. It was a tale well-told, and the twist was really good, but I kinda forgot the story in the year-long gap between playing it and the sequel.

KOTOR 2 tells a much more interesting story in my opinion. The whole game, I was unsure of who my friends and who my enemies were, and even whether or not I was doing the right thing. For my money, Kreia was easily the most interesting character in either game. Overall, it was a great deconstruction of the Star Wars universe and of RPGs themselves, and I don't imagine its story will fade from my memory in the same way that the first game's story did.