View Single Post
Old January 26 2014, 12:40 PM   #19
Blip
Fleet Captain

Re: New Orleans-Class

Unicron wrote: View Post
Partially. It was considered part of the "New Fleet" package that began introduction in the 2330s, alongside designs like the Steamrunner and Challenger. The Galaxy and the Nebula classes both drew design elements from the New Orleans.

Originally, it was assumed that the design wouldn't be active along the frontier and border areas, so it had no torpedo launchers in favor of a larger sensor suite. It was felt that the traditional torpedo systems would take up too much internal space and the trade was acceptable given the peaceful relations, although the decision was controversial in Starfleet. The Cardassian War changed that, and the New Orleans ships in service initially fared badly because of the lack of torpedos. Their systems were otherwise very similar to those on the Ambassador class, and eventually the ASDB found that mounting the bolt-on launchers was a good alternative. It gave the New Orleans the needed punch while also bypassing the problem of internal space. The ships often served in units with Steamrunners against the Cardassians.
Ah, thank you The bolt-on torpoedo concept also makes a lot of sense.

However:
The 2330s seems a little too early to me. I'd have thought early 2340s to be a realistic timeframe, due to both the class registry numbers and also since the Ambassador, Renaissance and their ilk were still quite prevalent. Likewise, I'd expect Challenger to be of later construction. Since the Cardie War didn't start until 2347and lasted well into the 2350s, there's ample opportunity to have observed this weakness in design and rushed to correct it.

As for Steamrunner, I can't envisage that as pre-Wolf-359. Based on the layout and the stylistic cues (such as they are for anything as of ST:FC!) I'd have put it as something designed around the same time as the Defiant, at the earliest.
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote