View Single Post
Old January 26 2014, 03:44 AM   #15
Newspaper Taxi
Fleet Captain
Re: Favorite Doctor Who alien race?

Some of the most interesting aliens to me are ones that were treated pretty much as throw-aways.

The Forest seen in The End of the World -- I don't see the idea of plant people explored in Sci-Fi that often. Mostly just in fantasy. The thought that the species is descended from the trees of Earth is quite improbable, but very Doctor Who-ish. I wish we could have seen them again.

The Fish-people seen in the Doctor's daughter -- I guess originally these people were given actual lines that were replaced with bubbling noises. If they could make a translator for them then it would be great fun to see them again.

These species had the ability to produce individuals that were --well, individuals, and not just swarms of monsters. But I think their design indicates that they would have some interesting views on the universe than most of the bipedal mammal aliens and near-humans.

Actually, my favorite Dalek story in Nu-Who was "The Daleks in Manhatten." The Daleks recognized that in order to keep exterminating the universe they were going to need to change, and so they tried to create a new breed of Dalek -- but then couldn't accept change when they came across it.

I do enjoy the Doctor Who staples, though. They're always good fun, so long as the writers keep thinking up fresh ways to use them.
"Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor!" -- Peri
Newspaper Taxi is offline   Reply With Quote