View Single Post
Old January 25 2014, 08:47 PM   #22
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Re: Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
I think that we do families a disservice by presenting them with an idealistic vision of what the "perfect American family" should be, when they won't ever be able to live up to that and may feel like they've somehow failed.
You are indicting Star Trek in the macrocosmic sense. To wit: "I think that we do civilization a disservice by presenting it with an idealistic vision of what the "perfect society" could be, when it won't ever be able to live up to that and may feel like it has somehow failed." Is that what happened? Or did it inspire people on their career paths in various technologies, medicine and the space program, invent things to improve our lives, and to do better? Would you like to consider a more optimistic outcome?
I think that you have a good point, especially when it comes to dramas. I do think that sitcoms are a little different, since it seems like most people watch them to have something to relate to, rather than to be inspired. But I could be off about that of course.
T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote