Thread: Dracula - NBC
View Single Post
Old January 25 2014, 05:44 PM   #115
Christopher
Writer

Re: Dracula - NBC

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Dracula was never just a 10-part miniseries, especially when you have a final episode with very little resolution that opens a lot more doors.
You're right. It was promoted as a limited series, but now we see that was clearly just rhetoric in case the show didn't do well enough to warrant renewal.

I'm actually disappointed that it didn't have more closure. True, the bulk of the cast is dead (although Renfield will probably pull through if there's a renewal), but a lot was left dangling. I was expecting something that would bring satisfactory closure while still leaving an opening for a second story to be told the following season. Instead, we just get a cliffhanger like most series have. Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of season-ending cliffhangers.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And, oh, Harker is well and truly a scumbag now. Note that when he found out that the Resonator was set to explode and cause a major catastrophe in the middle of London, he didn't even think about trying to stop the demonstration or prevent the disaster; he just wanted to make sure Mina wasn't present. Never mind the scores of innocent people in danger . . ..
Yeah, it is weird that Dracula seemed to care more about the innocent lives than Harker did. Although he was probably more concerned about his image, the bad press if his device killed a bunch of people. And concerned about what Mina would think of him, since she was the one main character there who did care about the lives of the public.

Not only is Harker a complete scumbag now, but Van Helsing is the worst monster of the lot. I thought he'd reached his limit last week when he couldn't bring himself to bludgeon the children to death, but here he turned two small children into vampires, cut off one of their fingers, had them kill their own father, then burned them all alive (or undead). That's the vilest thing anyone on this show has done.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
If that's where Dracula ends, I'm content. There are a number of balls still in the air, pieces are still in play on the chessboard, whatever metaphor you want to use, but for the first time since the series began we're in a recognizable position for a Dracula story -- Dracula has enemies in Van Helsing and (five seconds after) Harker who know his secret, Lucy is a vampire, and Dracula's interests have taken major blows and he's essentially on his own in a foreign land. Some of the series' outstanding unique issues -- the Order of the Dragon, Grayson Industries, Mina's loyalties -- aren't resolved, yet I could, if necessary, graft the last half of Stoker's novel onto this and feel satisfied.
Except that in the novel, Harker and Van Helsing are clearly the heroes, whereas here they're pure villains. And in the novel, contrary to most screen adaptations, Mina's loyalties aren't conflicted in the least; Stoker's Dracula is anything but a romantic figure and is more a sexual predator, and Mina is unambiguously afraid of him and loyal to Jonathan. She's a vital member of the anti-vampire team. But here, she's decidedly in Dracula's corner (by "corner," read "bed") and I don't see her ever coming around to Jonathan's side after what he did.

Browning's lack of recognition at Van Helsing didn't surprise me; when he killed Van Helsing's family, he was only doing his duty, and he probably did the same thing to dozens or hundreds more.
"For you, the day the Order graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

Lady Jayne's ... discovery of Alexander Grayson's secret was reactive (since the Seer gave it to her by giving her the location)... I would have liked to see Lady Jayne work the truth out for herself, and I'd have liked to see her work through the feelings of betrayal and disgust she must surely have been feeling.
I think the idea was that, as Dracula said, she'd known all along but been in denial. A few weeks ago, Browning raised the possibility that Grayson was a vampire and Jayne refused to believe it. So she couldn't have figured it out on her own, because she had a psychological block. The seer just forced her to confront what her instincts had been telling her all along.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote