View Single Post
Old January 25 2014, 05:12 AM   #34
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: NuTrek's Faulty Moral Compass

Rory1080p wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Rory1080p wrote: View Post
it doesn't really have one at all, it's basically just action sci-fi (shoot teh villains and beat them with cool special effects and dat)

the morality of such films is non existent sadly, but just take them as what they are and don't expect it and you can still enjoy them to an extent.
It's funny when people take their own lack of analysis and insight as a proof of the movies's faults.

Say what you will about its quality (there is no accounting for taste), but you can't ignore it tackles very current issues like the lawfulness of preemptive strikes, drone warfare, state-sponsored terrorism, etc.
as opposed to your analysis which is clearly that of someone who did a degree in the film? arrogance does not equate superiority my friend.

like I said I think the films are good if you take them in their own right, but within Trek? they just aren't anything like as deep or meaningful to me, maybe it's because I grew up with the original Trek and TNG, but it just doesn't make me think or feel in the same way when I watch the new films, as action sci-fi?
I don't know that any Star Trek film since TMP has ever been described as "deep and meaningful." Sure, they all had a theme and a message (STID had one too), but even the TNG movies ultimately degenerated into cookie-cutter sci-fi action flicks with a philosophical message slapped on top of it.

TNG itself had some deeper moments, but TNG was a television series with a lot more room to maneuver. TOS also had its thought-provoking moments (though also an abundance of cheesy moments), but has the same advantage: you can do more in 65 hours of television than you can in 99 minutes of feature film.

in old Trek films and series there would have been
Not in the films, I think. The only one that comes close is TUC, which "tackled the issue" through a series of Shatner monologs.

STID did basically the same thing with Kirk/Spock's discussion in the shuttlecraft , Kirk's change of heart vis a vis Khan's assassination and, finally, with Kirk's closing speech at the memorial event.

Basically: it's hardly a stirring treatise on the morality of preemptivism and/or counterterrorist policy or the inherent pitfalls of trying to play one evil bastard against another and hope for the best, but to say it doesn't address the issue AT ALL is far from the truth.