View Single Post
Old January 24 2014, 02:55 AM   #253
Bixby
Commander

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - "Kitumba" Officially Released!

Finally had a chance to sit down and re-watch Phase 2ís KITUMBA episode without any distractions whatsoever (not easy, let me tell you). The first time out I came away with enjoyment at having seen a fine piece of entertainment. Is it Citizen Kane-level? Well of course not, but the creative team deserves a lot of credit.
Many members have already shared their observations, allow me to do the same:
(1)Spock says ĎíStarfleet has already alerted 29 starships...íí 29?!? I guess starship includes ships of many different classes, the Saladin pictured at the beginning for one...

(2)First time I think Iíve ever seen a Starfleet officer wearing a wedding ring on his hand. Plus itís kinda funny to see Gil Gerard barely acknowledge Spock and McCoy, then hail Mr Scott by name...
(3)There seems to be the same Bones reaction shot at 02:24 and 04:12, though the first one strikes me as unnecessary since the Doc seems to be reacting for no reason (he couldnít yet know the new arrival is a klingon). Speaking of the Doc, Iíve really come to like John Kelley as McCoy and was really disappointed to see him gone in the Mind-Sifter teaser (really glad to see him return) Heís really come onto his own in the role, but he is probably an editorís worst nightmare during the transporter room sequence (arms down, arms crossed, arms behind his back )...Spock also keeps popping in and out...

(4)Ron Boyd has been around as long as James Cawley and Kelley, and always a welcomed face in the crowd, but heís just too relaxed and smooth while the original TOS DeSalle was basically Clint Eastwood, squinty-eyed and jaw clenched...

(5)I love seeing Paul Sieber as Prescott again, though itís kinda weird he would go (character-wise) from Farragut security chief to Enterprise security...And heís not played as much of a stick-in-the-mud as on Farragut, so not as fun. Perhaps he should have been cast as another crewman entirely.

(6)Loved the scene with the gathering of the Klingons. Well Phase 2 has done it! After disappointing planetside episodes for Exeter (The savage Empire) and Farragut (the Captaincy and For Want of a Nail) with decidedly un-alien settings, this is the second episode that passes the grade (Enemy Starfleet is the other). Sole gripe? would have needed a more judicious placement of the many fans/klingons to have the more authentic ones in the foreground...

(7)Vic Mignona as the main villain...hmm, would have preferred he be more Kang, than Klaa...

(8) The directing/editing at 43 minutes is quite confusing: Kirk brings the Kitumba back planetside and has words with Kargg. He and Peter go back inside the tavern separately. Kirk goes inside with the Kitumba and wonders where Peter is (?). Peter is making out with a female klingon, kissing her for all heís worth (what was the point of that, though?). Then both Kirks, Chekov and Uhura all step out of the tavern only to be surrounded by Kargg and a squad of Klingons... Cowardly sod, isnít he? Used to be a Klingon didnít need help to subdue 4 humans by himself...

(9)At 56:20 my 3rd favorite piece of Star Trek music explodes and I am so giddy. The fighting sequence was terrific but could have been more deadly (meaning, some of the characters might have paid the price). You would think after all the times Kirk has gotten sliced across the chest he would now have quite a collection of scar tissue, but...

(10)Storywise, I get that the focus had to remain small for this story, centering on the Kitumba and the plot by Malkaíthon even though a story that seeks to bring momentous change to a whole race/planet might have wanted to show some extra power players and THEIR views on the whole matter (no, not asking to bring in a whole whoís who of the ridge head set, but a few new guys might have added some scope).

Overall, an entertaining hour was spent. My only gripe is that Kirk and the crew just were never in that much danger. The possible need to blow up the ship if ever it is in any danger of being invaded or overwhelmed is mentioned at least twice (by Gil Gerard and Kirk), but nothing ever comes of that.

And finally we get to see Cawley kick ass!!

The FX sequences are lush and just plain amazing. Pony and Tobias, give it up yo!!
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote