View Single Post
Old January 23 2014, 01:20 PM   #26
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Was NCC-1701 active for 40 years?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Dukhat wrote: View Post
I have no problem with the original Enterprise having a lifespan of 40 years.
Same here.
Personally, I go with the Enterprise-B was around the longest, about 50 years, and had several different captains and crews during her time.
I also wasn't all that crazy about the 20 year absence of an Enterprise between the C and the D.
I favor the idea that the fairly new Enterprise-C was the only starship with the name to be lost with all hands aboard and that Starfleet wasn't quick to replace her so fast. At the same time, Starfleet wanted the public to know that the Enterprise would live on by announcing that one of the still-in-the-idea phase Galaxy-class ships would be the Enterprise-D.

Whilst it is possible the Ent-B was around for 50 years. I don't think that's likely for the following reason. We know it's commissioning date is ~2293. The Ent-C had a date of loss circa 2344.
Which doesn't make it unlikely an idea at all--the longest-lived Enterprise followed by the shortest-lived Enterprise.
Now fo course it is possible the Ent-C was only around for a year.
Exactly. Since we don't know when the Enterprise-B ended and the Enterprise-C began, any idea is valid.

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Going along with C.E. Evans's idea, that would give a "Babylon 4" vibe to the situation; that is, that the Ent-C was a brand-new ship that mysteriously disappeared. Unfortunately the episode never really gave that impression.
Well, in my idea she wasn't a totally brand-new ship (it had been in service for at least a year and long enough to be considered a plum assignment), but still new enough to have went far before her time.
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
The Enterprise-E could have been another Galaxy class ship, just like, when Kirk lost his first one, they gave him an identical replacement. The same could have happened to Picard. That way, Moore and Braga could have had their jollies, and we could continue to have the best starship design Star Trek ever had. It would have been cheaper to the production too. All the modelmakers would have had to do was slap an "E" sticker over the "D".
They actually did, not knowing what the producers had in mind for Star Trek VIII at the time.
http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...laxy_class.jpg
What was that supposed to be for?
For Star Trek VIII (a.k.a. First Contact). They didn't know at the time production on Generations wrapped if the producers were going to have the Enterprise-E be a Galaxy-class ship or not, so someone decided to change a few decals just in case it was the former (the decals on the rest of the model still read NCC-1701-D however).

Last edited by C.E. Evans; January 23 2014 at 01:31 PM.
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote