View Single Post
Old January 23 2014, 10:54 AM   #460
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Having part of a pair and not the other part a different race raises the specter of tokenism.
You took the post right out of my fingers; I was beginning to wonder if anyone even knew that word anymore. That's exactly what this re-racing of characters is. I'm surprised people like Sam Jackson put up with it. What they need to do is actually create Black characters (and other minorities, and so on). Diversity is not served by putting a White character in blackface-- that raises the specter of Ted Danson. That, plus the ideas that Sue and Johnny don't have to be related and that it doesn't matter how old Reed is and so forth demonstrates a lack of respect for the source material. This is what happened to the first movie. They watered down Reed's character, they totally re-imagined Doom, and it was a bad movie. If a concept is worth making a movie about, they should actually use that concept.