View Single Post
Old January 22 2014, 01:37 PM   #16
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: PD: a captain vows to sacrifice his ship and crew rather...

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
I can't think of any situation where starfaring people (complete with starship) dealing with a technologically-inferior, planet-bound (or even limited spaceflight capable) civilization could ever require sacrificing ship and crew. Just leave.
"A star captain's most solemn oath is that he will give his life, even his entire crew, rather than violate the Prime Directive."

Although this could be a textbook quote from Kirk in "The Omega Glory", I rather think it's Kirk's conclusion what Captain Tracey should have done:
  • not to use his superior phaser power and take sides in a conflict that's none of his business but - if necessary - be killed along with the other Kohms
  • not to stay to find a cure, even if his crew would have still been alive
Of course, the whole premise of the episode begs for explanation:
  • Our medi-scanners revealed this planet as perfectly harmless.
  • The villagers, the Kohms here, were friendly enough once they got over the shock of my white skin.
  • I stayed down here to arrange for the planet survey with the village elders.
  • The next thing I knew, the ship was calling me. The landing party had taken an unknown disease back.
So it's okay to beam down in futuristic Starfleet uniforms with futuristic devices and interact with the natives as long as you don't get involved in any local conflicts?

Since Tracey didn't look like a Kohm, I'd say it's safe to assume that he didn't pretend to be a local native but told them what he was and where he came from.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote