View Single Post
Old January 19 2014, 04:08 PM   #34
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Who wants to see a TAS Remasered project?

When I was younger up into my teens and even early twenties I could be dismissive of some older things even though I had certainly seen enough of it on TV. But as I grew in experience and perception I learned to see the value of more of what came before "my time." I learned that while it could be different from what I was immediately familiar with I was beginning to see a lot of intelligence and talent and vision in it. I was also seeing the foundations of what we have now. There is great value in what came before, not the least of which we wouldn't have what we have now if not for the work of those who came before us.

Sadly an attitude has arisen that if we don't like the past we can revise it, and this goes beyond just making a new version like a remake or reboot. Now they want to redo the actual original work. In my view this revisionist attitude corrupts the context of the original work and is disrespectful of the creative efforts of many talented individuals who strived to create art and magic with next to none of the resources that exist today.

For me an excellent example of this is 2001: A Space Odyssey. The f/x in that film are astounding, the pinnacle of what could be done then, and all without cgi.

But it wouldn't surprise me if someone somewhere thinks it should be redone.