View Single Post
Old January 19 2014, 03:47 AM   #31
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Who wants to see a TAS Remasered project?

BillJ wrote: View Post
I gotta be honest here, I don't find the remastered effects "better" than most of the original effects.
Sorry, but I'm really pedantic about this: the new CGI FX are not "remastered." The newly added FX are the only part of the show that wasn't remastered. It's the original FX -- along with the rest of the original series -- which were remastered. The remaster of TOS was complete before any new FX were created.

Hey, I did warn you that I'm pedantic.
Maurice wrote: View Post
I assume you meant "master" and not "maser"

Anyway, you're making the common error of conflating "revisionism" with "remastering". Remastering is making a new print/video of a film/show which has been degraded or had poor quality copies made in the past. Re-animating, changing voices, etc., is NOT remastering.
This needs to be repeated again and again and again. And again.
Warped9 wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I think they could do new TOS effects that do the originals justice and fit in with the live action elements, I just don't think that happened in TOS-R.
Exactly.
I totally agree. Which is why I watch TOS in glorious HD with the original FX, also in HD. Some of the FX hold up, some don't, but they are what they are, products of their time.