View Single Post
Old January 19 2014, 01:57 AM   #83
Christopher
Writer

Re: Put George & Gracie on the Federation Council?

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
When I said "... the one ability they all lack is the ability to understand concepts," I was talking about animals, not children. Whereas you were trying to put them on equal terms. This is very much not the case.
I'm not "trying" to do anything. I'm passing along what recent scientific evidence has begun to demonstrate. Reality does not conform itself to our beliefs and prejudices; therefore we must conform our beliefs to the evidence. If you'd asked me two months ago whether I thought dogs were as aware as small children, I would've said no. I've never liked dogs or been that impressed by their intelligence. But now science tells me that they may very well have more awareness than we've realized, and since I'm a rational person, I modify my views to fit the evidence. Of course the evidence is inconclusive; it'll be a long time before we really understand how to define sapience or consciousness. But that's all the more reason to err on the side of caution and not be too quick to assume a life form isn't self-aware.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote