View Single Post
Old January 18 2014, 11:52 AM   #89
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Re: Person of Interest Season 3

^ Yes and no. They have auto-landing/braking systems, but it's more complex then just pushing a button and sitting back while the plane lands itself.

You continue the descent into Tampa and when the temperature goes above freezing, all the ice flies off the plane. Because of the constant turning by your pilots who are working very hard and monitoring the weather radar, you stay out of the storms and hit no turbulence. However, because of the storms passing thru, Tampa airport is now completely fogged in. Uh oh, no way to land now, right? Wrong. In steps your pilots to configure the "autoland" system. Now, this isn't a system where your pilots push a big "LAND" button, sit back and fall asleep and wake up and say "oh look, we're on the ground". First, it requires the plane and the airport to be equipped with the right systems to support an autoland approach. Your pilots even require special training and certification to be able to fly an autoland approach. Imagine that - extra training for something that everyone thinks requires less pilot skill! Autoland requires careful inputs by the pilots to get the plane to maneuver itself right onto the runway where the "autobrakes" kick in. Depending on the surface conditions and length of the runway, your pilot configures the autobrakes to stop the plane with a certain amount of force. Again - not something the plane will figure out by itself especially since pilots rely on other pilots who have landed before them to give a detailed description of the conditions on the runway.

http://flyingforeveryone.blogspot.co...ot-really.html
Bob Morton wrote: View Post
The most recent episodes have me fearing the Machine itself may become the enemy in the future. It's definitely becoming more bold in it's interactions with the world; speaking more or less directly to Control about how it guards, protects and wants to save us, how it sees Reese and the team as it's assets, and manipulating reality in real-time to get Reese on the required plane. You have to wonder what other actions it's taking to achieve it's own goals. I also wonder about how the Machine will react when a new member of it's own kind (Samaritan) starts to invade.
I was saying in another thread how the interaction between The Machine (through Root) and Control gave off a serious Asimov-ian Three Laws vibe, and how the stories became about the robots finding new ways to interpret the Three Laws to "save humanity from itself" in their view. The Machine is certainly taking on a parental (maternal in Root's view) air when dealing with humans, and Root sees it as nothing less than a new God of a sort. Hopefully Finch will be able to convince it to curb its more forceful instincts before it gets so far out of hand that it must be destroyed. It's already to the point of forcing Reese to do its bidding and letting Root repeatedly suffer for the "greater good," which are troubling signs.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote