View Single Post
Old January 17 2014, 02:36 PM   #22
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: Doomsday Torpedoes

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
blssdwlf wrote: View Post
But what about the antimatter not in the warp drive pods? There is the antimatter fuel in the engineering hull ("That Which Survives") and also possibly the antimatter fuel on Deck 11 in "Errand of Mercy" to consider.
Could be a useful hint that the Constellation belonged to the Constitution Starship Class (NCC-16XX) and only the Enterprise Starship Class (NCC-17XX) featured another M/AM reactor in the engineering hull and the antimatter pods on Deck 11.
That's a possibility.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
blssdwlf wrote: View Post
BTW, I do agree that the antimatter fuel is generated as needed instead of giant fuel containers as portrayed in later Trek.
I most certainly don't. The amount of energy you need to put into the creation of antimatter equals the amount of energy yield you could get from matter-antimatter annihilation ("You canna change the laws of physics").

These enigmatic antimatter generators look like "magic".
Of course warp drive and dilithium crystals look like "magic" as well. The amount of power the TOS Enterprise puts out is quite large (push a moon, go for it!) and her range is so great (Andromeda galaxy, no problem with fuel ) that she has effectively an unlimited, regenerating supply of antimatter. How she regenerates antimatter that's the magic. We've discussed this before in other threads whether it's dilithium tapping into an alternate antimatter universe, a variation of the zero point energy, etc. It just "works".

I don't think she carries giant fuel containers but large enough tanks to power her for a while under full load and to look like a nova when it goes off catastrophically.

TNG's tech went in a different direction (which I'd argue it's a different tech in a parallel universe) where their science and technology wasn't as magical. They did have fuel limitations with their warp drive although they slipped back into TOS thinking in "Booby Trap" where they burned more m-am fuel in a different dilithium arrangement to extend their am fuel supplies...