View Single Post
Old January 17 2014, 06:02 AM   #30
TheWelshPirate
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: U.S.S. Hecla - a TOS destroyer???

Starscape wrote: View Post
Thanks, Lego Thrawn.

You'd think making orthos would be fairly straightforward. Well, it was until I discovered the ortho angles showed that there was far too much specularity in the textures. So, I've re-worked those and here's the orthos:

Click to enlarge

And as for stats... well I can give you some specs.

Decks: 12
Length: 191 m
Width: 100 m
Height: 39 m

If anyone has ideas for stats or mission profiles for the ship, I'd be interested to hear them.
Nice design! I just got Blender and am intending on teaching myself to use it. Never done any 3-D modeling before, and I'd like to work on some ship ideas I've been turning about in my mind. Anyways, let me see if I can figure out what your ship could be...

The small primary hull suggests a small crew, and the large secondary hull suggests lots of room dedicated to engineering machinery and/or cargo space.

If this was a warship, it would make sense that the secondary hull would be filled with larger and more numerous reactors to support stronger shields and higher phaser output. But the nacelles kind of kill that idea for me. The point of a small battleship is to be fast, and those small nacelles suggest to me that this ship is slower than, say, the Constitution-class.

With that in mind, I'm inclined to think that the extra room in the secondary hull is used for cargo space. So I would guess that it's a mid-range supply ship. Likely transporting supplies and personnel between various starbases and outposts in it's particular AoR. It might also be used to take preliminary settlement infrastructure to planets that have been deemed as candidates for colonization by exploration vessels.
TheWelshPirate is offline   Reply With Quote