View Single Post
Old January 17 2014, 01:51 AM   #51
Botany Bay
Commodore

Re: Why are Trekkies so Hateful of Star Trek?

thumbtack wrote: View Post
I think a lot of the hostility comes from the (justified) feeling of helplessness, or being ignored, when you find yourself in the minority. Fans have been yelling on the internet for years, to no avail.

When Into Darkness finished second in CNN.com's Favorites of 2013 poll, Paramount took out an ad congratulating itself. Yet, no notice is given to events like "Orci Strikes Back" despite the very best efforts of that minority to play it up as loudly as possible.

Then, there is the indignity of being told you've aged right out of the target demographic; that you're not as important to the long term health of the IP. "But my decades of loyalty should make me more important than those stupid teenagers!", they shout.

Thor 2 blu-ray.
Bingo. Well said.

The Star Trek that the over 30's crowd grew up with is finished. Sad, but luckily we have hundreds of hours of 'our' Trek to re-watch, novels are still being published, fan films of astonishing quality are still being made, and places like this are still thriving even in the Twitter age.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote