View Single Post
Old January 16 2014, 11:25 PM   #32
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Why are Trekkies so Hateful of Star Trek?

BigJake wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote:
It still passes through that lens of nostalgia. The cold light of day's got nothing on warm, fuzzy feelings of yesteryear.
I dunno. The vaguer form of warm, fuzzy nostalgia hasn't worked against NuTrek so far as I can see, far from it. NuTrek is designed very effectively and precisely to exploit it, and has done its job.

What's likelier to work against it is people actually being able to see and compare the real article of yesteryear, and not just fuzzy memories of it, with the new property. The warm, fuzzy feelings of yesteryear haven't done much to preserve my affections for TNG Trek; by contrast I was once wont to misremember TOS as being far cheesier and pulpier than it actually was. The ability to re-view it at will has blunted that tendency a lot for me and taught me respect for the old series I didn't previously have. Without that, NuTrek would probably have seemed a lot cleverer to me than it does.
Certainly it's not fool proof, but that nostalgia does tend to create a strong bias in some people. I figure the people who see the comparisons and still go with the nostalgia are the ones who don't want to give in to the idea that so much time has passed.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote