View Single Post
Old January 15 2014, 03:43 PM   #26
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Re: Ever heard of the "AI Day"? Me neither, but

^interesting! And, frankly, rather scary. 1984-ish.
On the other hand, Google and the NSA are doing basically the same. You can find out a lot about people by simply following their traces on the web. In my country, we see that as a violation of personal privacy (like stalking) and the government tries to counteract that. For example, they advise not to use facebook and google but alternatives with better data security. Our ministry for data security recommends the use of proxies, mail & cell encryption and disposable email adresses (I use different mail accounts: a disposable one for first contacts which mighth be potentially risky, another account for reliable business partners, again another for business partners where I am not sure of their security, one very secure one for friends and a top secret heavily encrypted one only for closest friends and family). Sounds like an overkill but I'm rather safe than sorry and spied out.

Thanks for the link, Robert. Paradoxely, the explanation on the English page is easier to understand for me than that on the German one LOL, but the latter has better graphics and less abstract examples. Both lack an example for how the coding would look like, though. They only explain the general idea. I'll look for open source fuzzy logic programmes in the weekend to take one apart and have a look at the code

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
It's interesting that the point about how the need for timely responses places strong demands on hardware configuration is quite relevant with respect to the reflex arc. Thanks for that, Rhubarbodendron.
You're welcome It's something that stuck in my memory from way back at school, 40 years ago.
It's basically only a variation of a very old nervous system that insects and many worms have. They have 2 parallel nerve strands that are connected at regular intervals. At the crossings there are ganglia: knots of nervous tissue that work as little brains for the reflexes. In our spinal cord the 2 nerve strands are fused to one and these little "brains" are reduced to just a few cells, but the principle is quite the same. In an insect the whole thing looks rather like a rope ladder. Here's a pic of 3 Drosophila (fruitfly) larvae. The nervous tuissue is coloured. The left larva is normal, with the ganglions nicely visible (the dark zones where the rungs meet the stringers). The 6 front ganglia are especially big: they control legs, wings, mandibles, feelers and eyes. The other two larvae have different grades of genetically induced nerval damage.

Last edited by Rhubarbodendron; January 15 2014 at 04:16 PM.
Rhubarbodendron is offline   Reply With Quote