View Single Post
Old January 15 2014, 06:40 AM   #16
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Re: Star Trek -- Project: Potemkin "The Night the Stars Fell from the

*** SPOILERS ***

Some pluses:

1. T'Noshi was a well-conceived and well-played character.

2. The make-up was generally excellent.

3. The visual effects were very good.

4. The locations were beautiful, although the grass was often well groomed! (I'm assuming that the Georgia spruce line was meant to suggest that there were multiple planets represented in the Preserver Ark that crashed.)

5. The overall story was very well conceived, which is something that generally impresses me about Project: Potemkin.

Some minuses:

1. Plot hole: When their communicators are taken by the other tribe, the landing party should lose their translation abilities. Ordinarily in Star Trek, this might not be an issue, except that the point was explicitly made near the episode's beginning that communicators were necessary to speak with the natives. They get them back shortly, but, by having the ability to communicate when there should have been none and when there was an assumption of hostile intent, an understanding was arrived at too rapidly.

2. Given the proximity of the two tribes, and a variety of other reasons, I found the idea of an atomic war initiated by Sarat impossible to swallow. In fact, I don't even see that it's necessary to bring up the possibility of an atomic war. Conventional war should have served the purposes of the story well enough. Other factors, hypothetically such as the hardship of living in an environment to which they were maladapted and which offered few resources, could have been used to explain why technology remained at such a primitive level.

3. In contrast to how cold they said they were, a lot of the natives sure wore loose-fitting clothing!

In any case, I enjoyed watching it, and I am impressed by the efforts and achievement. I look forward to future releases.

Thanks!