View Single Post
Old January 14 2014, 04:26 AM   #30
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
That said, I do sincerely believe that if die-hard fans got to handle things their way, despite all their efforts, it would end up being for the franchise kinda like the Executor smashing into the Death Star II.

Case in point: I wanted a bigger space battle in Return of the Jedi. Years later, I began to appreciate that we'd already been there and done that in A New Hope. Me getting my fangasm would have come at the expense of going back to where the OT had already been. I've since come to appreciate that one of the things that Jedi has going for it is that it makes the few space battle scenes that are in there count a great deal. Plus, it got to expand the base by appealing to an audience to whom WWII reenactments in space don't really appeal.

Fans routinely want to revisit the moments when they squeed, and they have a hard time coming up with genuinely new ideas. Overloading a new film with the servicing of things past is not the way to go forward and blaze new territory, and it would cause me to cross the line into becoming concerned, is really all I meant.
I think the Clone Wars series really did a good job of evoking those "squee" moments without bloating them into the visually-mesmerizing, narratively-excessive frenzy we saw at the beginning of ROTS. I'm pretty darned sure we're going to get at least one space battle. But if it follows a tighter focus, like Clone Wars, ANH, or even ROTJ, it'll be worth seeing.
Sorry, just a minor nit that needs fixing. I misspoke. I didn't mean that I wanted a bigger space battle, as in one with more ships. What I meant was that originally I wanted to focus more extensively on the space battle part of the story. Just in case my meaning wasn't clear, I'm editing my post to reflect that.

The beginning of ROTS is probably my least favorite of the three space battles. I actually enjoy it less and less each time I see it, in contrast with the battles in ANH and ROTJ. These days, I'm enjoying ROTJ's battle more and more.

Oh, and I thought that The Clone Wars was overall quite an excellent series.