View Single Post
Old January 14 2014, 02:04 AM   #17
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
I think keeping an open mind is a worthy approach, regardless. That goes for Abrams, the original cast, new cast, story, and characters - even if Thrawn were involved (which, again, is unlikely).
You're right. I'll rest easier, at least!

That said, I do sincerely believe that if die-hard fans got to handle things their way, despite all their efforts, it would end up being for the franchise kinda like the Executor smashing into the Death Star II.

Case in point: originally, I wanted to focus more extensively on the space battle in Return of the Jedi and less on the Ewoks and the battle on the surface. Years later, I began to appreciate that we'd already been there and done that in A New Hope. Me getting my fangasm would have come at the expense of going back to where the OT had already been. I've since come to appreciate that one of the things that Jedi has going for it is that it makes the few space battle scenes that are in there count a great deal. Plus, it got to expand the base by appealing to an audience to whom WWII reenactments in space don't really appeal.

Fans routinely want to revisit the moments when they squeed, and they have a hard time coming up with genuinely new ideas. Overloading a new film with the servicing of things past is not the way to go forward and blaze new territory, and it would cause me to cross the line into becoming concerned, is really all I meant.

Last edited by CorporalCaptain; January 14 2014 at 04:29 AM. Reason: clarification
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote