Thread: Dracula - NBC
View Single Post
Old January 13 2014, 04:37 PM   #91
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Dracula - NBC

Yminale wrote: View Post
I also don't see how this show can last more than one season.
It's not supposed to. NBC commissioned it as a single 10 episode mini-series.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
It doesn't so much bother me as puzzle me, in that I'm occasionally confused by the logistics and rules of this particular universe. Where exactly is Mina living and just how alternate is this version of Victorian London?
I think Mina lives with her father. I seem to remember him entering her bedroom earlier in the series.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yminale wrote: View Post
...Harker is so unlikable that you are almost forced too root for Dracula to win over Mina's heart.
I think that's exactly the idea. In order to make a bloodthirsty monster a sympathetic protagonist, they've had to make the other characters worse in comparison.
Yes, but as either you or Greg said earlier in the thread, Christopher, Harker is a milquetoast character to begin with.

Yet, I don't think that Yminale quite has it right in saying that Harker is "so unlikable." I think that Harker exists to demonstrate the corrupting influence of Dracula (which Mina railed against in the latest episode), and his arc has been his fall from innocence to depravity. In a sense, he's a bit like Renfield from Tod Browning's Dracula -- a man who loses himself due to Dracula's influence.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote