View Single Post
Old January 13 2014, 03:22 AM   #207
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Re: MYTHBUSTERS 10th Anniversary Season

Reverend wrote: View Post
Honestly I had no idea one way or the other. I just presumed they were stunt doubles because the camera was behind them so you couldn't see their faces.

Generally in film if an actor does their own stunt they try and make sure you can actually see it's them. Conversely if it's done with a double they tend to try and shoot it in such a way that you can't see their face.
That's true.

I'm not saying that's *always* the case, but you'd think Lucas would want to take full advantage of actually seeing the actors do the swing.
I really can't speak for Lucas, of course, but I'll note that the original Star Wars was on a budget and the stunt was done in one take. I suspect that the combination of the tight budget and trying to minimize the number of takes meant keeping everything simple and just covering the basics, especially for that shot in particular.

That said, I'm a fan of the raw energy that comes from the almost documentary-style cinematography in a lot of scenes. I know everything is make-believe, but to me somehow it comes off as less staged, that way.

Reverend wrote: View Post
[EDIT]

A quick google image search later and it appears they really did do it...or attempt to do it at least.

Maybe the swing Fisher chickened out on was the sail barge one in Jedi? I do remember seeing a photo of her with a double wearing the metal bikini. In fact...*scrolls down* there we go.
I'm squeeing.