View Single Post
Old January 12 2014, 12:27 PM   #205
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: MYTHBUSTERS 10th Anniversary Season

Christopher wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I just got done watching it, not much to really say or add. I don't think either series of results surprised me. If I'm not too much mistaken the moonshine-as-fuel idea shouldn't have been too surprising considering that's essentially what e85 fuel is, granted at a much different mixture, which also shouldn't make it's much lower efficiency surprising.
Well, I've never heard of e85 fuel, so I wouldn't have guessed that. But I know some gasoline has ethanol in it, and I know it's a combustible substance, so it's not a huge surprise.

Running on pure hooch, though, I was a bit surprised how well the modern car ran on it (did Kari say it was or was not a flex-fuel car?) verses the older carburetted engine.
She said it was not specifically flex-fuel, but hedged by saying that maybe its computer would be able to adapt. Seems like something they should've made more of an effort to find out.
e85 is another term for flex-fuel/ethanol engines. If I'm not mistaken some "winter blends" of gasoline has *some* ethanol in it but not much since regular engines can't cope with it, but flex-fuel engines are designed to run on ethanol so run completely on e85/flex-fuel which (as stated) isn't nearly as efficient as gasoline.