View Single Post
Old January 12 2014, 02:23 AM   #129
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Re: NCC = Not Constitution Class?

Kenny wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Besides, the original Intrepid was destroyed in "The Immunity Syndrome", so the Intrepid shown in TVH (assuming it was the Intrepid) was probably an entirely new ship with its own keel and everything.
Hi John:

I considered your observation, but why would an earlier registry (NCC-1707) be assigned to a refit in the 2280's when Star Fleet had already reached a higher number NCC-1764 (the Defiant) in the late 2260's?

I would assume that NCC-1707 would have been assigned to a ship commissioned not long after the Enterprise.

Further, and here I'm way out on a limb, we don't know that the Intrepid's hull was destroyed. The space amoeba was absorbing energy, correct? I'm not sure it was absorbing matter. The solar systems it had destroyed were still there, right? But devoid of life.

So perhaps the hull of the Intrepid (1707) was salvaged and refit.
That's why I said "probably".

As for making sense of the sequence of registry numbers, good luck! No, err, I mean, that's a good point! Robert Comsol's idea seems tenable (it's a refit of a ship assigned the name Intrepid after "Immunity").

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Great find, I wasn't aware, yet, that we had a quasi-official NCC registry of "1707" for the [I]Intrepid.
Agreed.

Assuming that in the TOS era they didn't add "A"-ppendixes, shortly after its destruction in "The Immunity Syndrome" a new starship of the 17th design could have been named and numbered to honor the achievements of the Vulcan Intrepid, that ship was refitted, too, and ended up in Earth Spacedock along with Excelsior.