View Single Post
Old January 11 2014, 07:40 AM   #77
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Season 1 is underrated, and better than season 7

Yeah, well, so "Force of Nature" was heavy-handed, with a dash of eco-terrorism thrown in. Coming off as an apology for eco-terrorism isn't exactly uncontroversial, by the way. The episode itself addressed why the female scientist felt she had to act in desperation for the sake of an ideal, and it covered how in the end the Federation was not convinced that she was the root cause of the damage (by laying the blame on warp drive itself), so there's no need to rehash that.

Most of what you're faulting the episode for are the failings of most TNG episodes by then, so I can't really single it out for failing in those capacities of pacing, people sitting around and yapping when they should be acting, focusing on a contrived and banal B plot when it should be the juicy A plot (making me wonder whether A and B should really be the other way around), etc. As you said, "like in every other episode."

I guess what I meant to say was that I prefer it to the standard fare that we were being fed by then. I think I also explicitly praised it only with respect to the overall premise, which is what it was being faulted for a couple of posts above mine, as well as for seeing the main characters humbled and daring to be controversial.

I limited my praise to those things, because aside from them, the episode was, as you said, entirely typical of the season. However, similar remarks apply to "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield". Strip away the minority of parts specifically pertaining to the allegory, and you're left with a second-rate effort, even by TOS third season standards, if not a third-rate effort, given how drawn-out the plot is.