View Single Post
Old January 11 2014, 06:58 AM   #36
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2014

2. Blue Is The Warmest Colour (A)

Needs more extreme close-ups of people eating.

After hearing about this movie for almost a year since the 2013 Cannes festival, it's nice to finally get a chance to see it. It largely lives up to the hype, especially regarding the performances of the lead actresses. Lea Seydoux I was already familiar with, particularly for Farewell, My Queen, but Adele Exarchopoulos is phenomenal. I'm not sure whether I'd consider her or Cate Blanchett as the best female performance of the year (blue is certainly the favourite colour for actresses this year); it's a performance of remarkable range, covering the character from age 17 to what must be her late 20s at least.

Since the sex scenes have generated considerable discussion, I'll give my two cents: there are three notable ones, and the latter two are fine; the first one is overlong, and goes well past making the point of Adele finding genuine fulfillment in sex (in contrast with the short, brief hetero scene earlier that fails to satisfy her).

Cinema: 2 (+1)
DVD: 0
Computer: 0

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote