View Single Post
Old January 10 2014, 01:09 PM   #9
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: ST:TMP Technical Details

Patrickivan wrote: View Post
I think you hit it on the head that it was TMP E's little details that helped make the scale of the ship seem so large compared to the TOS E that didn't have any features real world views could relate to. But there's a fine balance in my opinion.
How is that? The exterior windows of the TOS E (and the vertical spacing in-between to suggest deck levels) conveyed a pretty good sense of size along with the exterior of the Bridge, IMHO.

Its lack of detail was partially owned to Matt Jefferies' design philosophy, but I'd think also to the low resolution of 1960's TV sets.

For the high resolution big screen they obviously couldn't resist to show off as many details as possible. Frankly, I don't really like the Aztec pattering because it created a patchwork look I wouldn't expect in 23rd Century ship building. And I think that, too, is one of the reasons why Grissom looked credible to pass as a vessel of the 23rd Century.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote