View Single Post
Old January 8 2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Death of Rats
Commodore

Re: Ever heard of the "AI Day"? Me neither, but

I don't think my background clouds my perception in this case.
Based on the very way they are built, computers work only with 2 options (current vs no current = 1 vs 0). A bit can only be either 0 or 1 but nothing between them. That principle is as old as Zuse's first computer and it's still used today, only the relays have gotten much tinier.
All programming must very carefully avoid contrary commands or unclear commands as they will inevitably lead to either the programme going into a loop or breaking off.
This is why computers (as long as they work as the ones we are currently using) will always be a little limited, compared to our brains. The latter actually can have bit-like states between 0 and 1, depending on how much Ca++ gets released into the synaptic cleft (this does, however, not go for the motorical nerves. Those have indeed only an on/off option like a Bit).

If you like, I can invite Santaman and Spaceball to this thread. They make a living of building and programming computers and might make excellent referees. Also, they are sure to have interesting views to add to the topic.