View Single Post
Old January 6 2014, 04:48 AM   #92
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: NuTrek's Starfleet

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
Pictures or profiles that don't work for me:
The SIG-14 -You're showing the Vengeance's torpedo tubes there. Why not use the designation for the Gattling Phasers?
Because
1) WHAT gatling phasers?
Those phasers in the weapons pods. A bunch of them seem to be coming in directions with a circular rotation of the emitters, although the arcing of the pulses makes a bit harder to see.

2) Near as I can tell, the turrets on the Vengeance would have been phaser banks either way. This is such, because Into Darkness depicted a range of beam weapons of various sizes, all of them being large gun-looking things that emit Star Wars style energy bolts. Photon torpedoes, on the other hand, are depicted for the first time as not actually requiring any sort of highly sophisticated launch hardware; you can stick a torpedo tube anywhere and cover it with a hatch. Which -- if the intention had been for Vengeance to fire TORPEDOES at the Enterprise -- is exactly what we would have seen there.
Having rewatched the scene on Youtube, there's nothing pointing either way. That said, reading and preferring the novelization has colored my perception of those weapons towards torpedo launchers, given their description in the novel.

In "Countdown to Darkness" Mudd's daughter is (strongly implied to be) half-Bajoran and has evidently been in the gun running business for the better part of a decade. The film, however, identifies her ship as a "K'Normian Trading Vessel" and the novelization goes a step further by suggesting that the K'Normians themselves are not actually Federation members and would have "a lot of explaining to do" if the Klingons found out who was behind the shootout in Ketha Province.

When you combine this with what we know about Pre-occupation Bajor -- that they already had space travel and probably star travel as well, that they have the technical know-how to build modern-style weapons and fighter craft (in a cave, with a box of scraps), that they operate a rigid caste system and are very accepting of outsiders, I get that the K'Normians (who may or may not be entirely Bajoran) recently made contact with the Federation, much to the delight of their arms traders.
I never got any connection between the Bajorans and the K'Normians, since we do know that people can just buy ships from other species in Trek. I also don't get why the Federation would contract with them, even if they made some pretty good guns - it's one thing to contract with a vendor headquartered in an allied nation (like the US did with the M9 pistol), it's another to contract with people you have no real relationship with.

Couldn't hurt, but I've been fiddling around trying to get high-res action shots that dont look too cartoonish. Settled on concept art, again as a placeholder.
I hope that turns out well.

"Galactic Peace" - For the love of god, swap that picture out for something else. There has to be something more obscure you can use than a Mass Effect gun.
The funny thing is, I'm having trouble with the Nimbus-III rifle. On the one hand, its hard to find any real images of it anywhere that aren't sloppy-looking reproductions made out of super soaker parts. On the other hand, the ORIGINAL looked pretty damn sloppy and I probably wouldn't use it if I could find it.

Basically, I'm getting to the point where I need to start shopping around for art work. Until then, rough draft is rough.
I got a lot of pics of real and fictional guns, if you need any inspiration. Try looking on Forgotten Weapons for some obscure, low maintenance designs too.

Also, put the last picture before the entries about the nuTrek movie phasers, because they make little sense without the context provided by that pic.
Please elaborate...
Basically, when it comes to writing, it's generally a better idea to fully explain what something is the first time you mention it, rather than just loosely associate two concepts, like you do in the phaser carbine entry (especially when some of your readers are vaguely aware that the K'Normians are a separate species from the Bajorans). All it would literally take is the line about the K'Normians being the Bajoran spacer caste from the Peacemaker entry and putting in where the K'Normian Alliance is mentioned in the Magnum Phaser entry.