View Single Post
Old January 5 2014, 09:21 AM   #47
iarann
Lieutenant

Re: When did New Frontier "Jump the Shark"?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
What events and characters were "editorially mandated" to PAD? (Supposedly killing off Janeway, but that was in a TNG novel.)
According to PAD regarding the creation of New Frontier: "The basic concept was John Ordover's, as was the notion of using several already existing characters. I fleshed out the concept and created the original characters." Source

And that's why certain fans are attracted to his work.

And if he stopped doing so, people who enjoy in-jokes would complain.
Maybe, but it's so over done to me that it almost gets into parody. As I said, it's just my opinion, obviously others are free to enjoy the in-jokes and constant self referencing, it would be nice though if he could be a little bit more subtle sometimes.

Wouldn't a "vision" be Calhoun's idealized remembrance of Shelby?
It's been way too long since I read the scene, but I don't remember that being implied. Whatever, I'm not going to waste time arguing over the matter.

Certainly, in all the PAD-approved art of Shelby in the comics, she looks exactly like Shelby.
That is because the artist was working from reference photos and had nothing to do with PAD.

And many of us were long into adulthood before we picked up our first piece of PAD material, or had ever heard of Peter David.
Right, which is why I didn't use an absolute in my statement. Of course there are adult fans (both now and back in the 90s), Imzadi couldn't have sold the numbers it did without them. I was specifically addressing comments in this thread regarding how people see the later books as corny or silly and how that element was already present in the earlier books.