View Single Post
Old January 3 2014, 08:57 PM   #38
Robert Maxwell
Knives Out, 24/7/365

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Why Is Nemesis Unpopular?

Lance wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
The dune buggy chase has got to be one of the most wrongheadedly superfluous scenes in Trek history.
I've seen at least one fan edit which omits it entirely, and the movie loses nothing. A quick shot of our crew on the planet picking up pieces of android, then a cross-fade back to the Enterprise. Tightens the scene up nicely. Really shows just how superfluous it is.

If only the rest of the movie were so easy to fix!
What's so messed up is that there was no reason to shoot that sequence at all. No need to show the planet's surface in any way. No need for the action sequence. Just go into orbit over the planet, beam up the android parts, done. That probably would have saved a couple million bucks and the film would have lost nothing.

Wasn't that whole sequence something that got added because Patrick Stewart wanted more action-oriented scenes? There is no story reason to justify it, as far as I can tell.

And that's just one example of the many, many things wrong with the script, and with the film itself.