View Single Post
Old January 3 2014, 06:49 PM   #29
GotNoRice
Fleet Captain

Re: Why Is Nemesis Unpopular?

Trek movies had come out about every 2 years for a very long time, then there was a 4-year gap between Insurrection and Nemesis. By the time the movie came out there was a lot of pent-up desire for a good trek movie.

In between Insurrection and Nemesis, both DS9 and Voyager ended. That meant that Nemesis was literally the last view we are ever going to get into the 24th Century timeline that began with TNG in 1987. It also made you wonder, since both Voyager and DS9 ended rather abruptly IMO, if they were going to make it into the movie somehow. Aside from the small Janeway cameo, there didn't appear to be any mention of DS9 or Voyager. They also completely ignored Worf's DS9 character progression. I mean, he became the Klingon Ambassador to Qo'noS yet the Ent-E calls and he's back to playing some dumb tactical Officer like the last 10 years never happened?

The emphasis on Picard and Data was as insulting as it was annoying. Data just isn't that interesting of a character at this point, and the obviously aging actor almost makes Data seem silly.

Too much reliance on gimmicks. Jeep scene, ramming the ship, etc.

My animosity for Nemesis comes mostly from the fact that from the very first time I watched it, I knew this was going to be the last 24th Century Trek movie we'd ever see. Whereas, if the movie had been good, with a compelling plot and relying less on gimmicks, it could have set the movie franchise back on track with us getting a new movie perhaps 2 years later. Perhaps that movie would have even had elements of DS9 or Voyager in it.

Instead the entire Trek franchise was swept up and tossed in the garbage, the name stripped away by execs with dollar signs in their eyes and re-used for a metrosexual reboot targeted at college kids.

RIP 24th Century Star Trek 1987-2002.
GotNoRice is offline   Reply With Quote