View Single Post
Old January 3 2014, 05:05 PM   #25
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Re: Why Is Nemesis Unpopular?

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote: View Post
The movie had so many things wrong with it. It regurgitated a lot of the same worn out TNG tropes, like the not funny at all "comedic moments", and the cringe inducing conversations like "Romulan Ale should be illegal" "It IS illegal!". Yuck! All to try to milk comedy out of mocking the characters.

Also it promises us Romulans, and instead we get these vampire creatures right out of an Ed Wood movie.

[snip]

Then the whole movie is dark (literally and figuratively). I wanted to scream "Damn it! turn on the goddamn lights!". The whole movie was depressing, particularly watching all the characters looks so worn out, tired and looking like they could give 2 fucks.

Then they kill off Data. You do not. kill. Data. You just don't do it!
It hadn't occurred to me before, but I think that maybe with the darker sets, the bit about the Romulan ale, and so on, they might have been trying to call back to Star Trek VI, since they had a pretty good idea it would be the last outing for this crew (self-fulfilling prophecy, that, but, yeah). The HUGE thing they missed is that VI still ended with some hope - we all already knew there was someone to continue the Enterprise's legacy. We had no such promise with Nemesis, so it felt more like an actual END than a hand-off. Especially with killing Data. None of the crew got killed off in VI, thankfully.

Nemesis had some really good stuff, though, particularly in the space combat scenes. And I even think Shinzon was a decent villain, if he had been handled a little better. But what KILLS this movie for me is B4 coming out of nowhere (Data *could* have been trying to create an offspring again, would have made more sense than some additional random prototype and sensors being able to detect it several systems away) and even more so, the entire Reman species coming out of nowhere! Seems like something we'd have come across before in the history of Trek - novels, screen, etc - doncha think?!
That's right, the entire movie was depressing to the max. All the TOS movies ended hopeful, even TWOK. By the time I saw TWOK I already knew about TSFS, so Spock's death didn't have any effect on me. However, I can tell the movie tries to end in a very good light, sort of like saying "yeah Spock is dead, but this is the Trek universe, where anything is possible! so don't be surprised if you see him again"

Nemesis did not do this at all except for the B4 whistling scene, which in no way, shape or form made me believe that was going to be Data again. It was just going to be retard B4 with some of Data's memories. Sorry movie, it just didn't work.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
B4 was completely pointless, and his presence cheapened whatever pathos could have been earned from Data's (pointless) sacrifice.

Shinzon's existence makes no sense at all. Once the Romulans decided not to go through with their (stupid) plan to replace Picard, they simply... shuttle him off to Remus? Huh?? It occurred to no one that the existence of a clone of the flagship's captain might cause some kind of diplomatic incident later? As if the Romulans are above summarily killing people! The second the plan was scrapped, Shinzon should have been put through an incinerator, or dematerialized and then scattered into space.

Shinzon could have been an interesting villain without any connection to Picard, but then they would have had to think through his motivations instead of giving him a cheap "revenge" shtick. There was potential in the situation: the Romulan government suddenly in shambles, Reman rebels running amok. Federation leaders, after what they'd been through with the Dominion, would likely want to turn the situation to their advantage. Picard would be driven to do what's right, regardless of politics. The question is, would freed Remans be a greater threat to the Federation than the Romulans themselves? Should the Federation stand by while a Reman uprising exacts vengeance against their Romulan masters? Can the Federation afford to have that kind of chaos in their backyard? There was the potential for a lot of moral ambiguity here with no easy answers, and instead they shied away and went for the cheap and simple. I had high hopes for a Romulan-centric movie, though I was always very lukewarm to the whole clone concept.

The space battles are pretty exciting. That's the only part I could say I really enjoyed, but then you can get a good space battle in lots of places, and it's no excuse for having a shitty story.
That's what I thought we were going to get: A Romulan political intrigue story. I was thinking to myself "finally we're going to see what TNG has been cock teasing us with for 7 years!)

And we get.......vampires?

And with the space battles, at least it was the first in a Trek show or movie, where shields are 90% and the ship isn't tearing itself apart inside already (That seems to be a ridiculous trope in all post TNG Trek, where even the first phaser/torpedo hit is gutting the ship from inside, sometimes even requiring evacuation of engineering/consideration of ejecting the core, and the shields haven't even dropped below 90% yet )

But what pissed me off is that I always wanted to see those huge D'eridex warbirds in action. And what do we get instead? These scrawny seagull looking ships that looked like they needed to eat.

I cannot picture the Romulans flying around in those. They are a proud race and like flying around in huge D'eridex class warbirds! not these skinny anorexic ships they have in this movie.