View Single Post
Old January 2 2014, 12:30 PM   #37
Epsilon-9
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Khan Side By Side Review

Bottom line is I'm a listener and ex projectionist and these bluray a TRAIN WRACK of a mess.

The Dolby mix for STTMP may not be that dyer directors cut which as so many missing Foley effects and sound effects of the bridge alarm sounds like a pack of ally cats meowing.

There is echo added to Scott on the intercom before the Enterprise goes to warp that echoes annoyingly on the side wall surrounds and stage right. It should be clear dry sound not sounding like the Enterprise inside the Merseyside tunnel. WTF!

The mix on the film doesn't sound like the rare 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo, which I would like to listen too and feel as well.

Its an okay mix but I'd use the LASERDISC USA pressing as that is as near close to 35mm DOLBY STEREO in decent THX sound system you'd ever hear at its purest form.

ST II is the same with missing single sound effect as English 5.1 only.

ST III has a opening credits issue with scope that is annoying.

STIV has possible dynamic range reduction when the crew sees the new USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A just as the shuttle clears USS Excelsior, the score lacks 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo slam depth that I only heard and felt in THX Sound System at the Empire Leicester Square, Sunday 8th October 1989.

ST V has dialouge panning issues from the first line "I thought weapons was forbidden on this planet" Its been centre rather than panned to stage right with a mild soft half centre mix.

The rest of the dialouge panning is a TRAIN WRECK of a mess. It sounds like dialouge track mix which would be separate track has been messed with by some teenager using a diy crappy Pro-Tools wired up to some egg boxes using Dolby pro-logic II music mode, and he should have his fingers super-glued never to near a mixing console ever again.

The bass has reduction with Klingon belching its only deeper in German if I can recall NOT ENGLISH!

Paramount Pictures should all be ashamed of themselves.

I had email from Paramount a few years ago as it only took me seconds to know its a RIP OFF! The person I spoke to is liar. He said they meet studio standards. Yeah right and am ex projectionist to knows what to look for and listen.

DO YOURSELVES ALL A BIG FAVOUR IF YOU'RE STAR TREK MOVIE FANS. BUY A LASRERDISC PLAYER AND THE USA LETTERBOX EDITIONS.

Okay some of the DVD are not too bad and best are the SE editions but still that missing sound effect on STAR TREK II but I doubt most of you wouldn't even care to listen?

STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE DVD should be burnt!

STAR TREK III is fine

STAR TREK IV is okay it still lacks that 70mm slam at the end on the score.

STAR TREK V doesn't have the botched dialouge panning issues and the film uses a lot of dialouge panning nice mix from the Todd-AO stages.

STAR TREK VI is fine
Epsilon-9 is offline   Reply With Quote