View Single Post
Old January 1 2014, 09:21 AM   #37
Paper Moon
Commander

Re: TF: Peaceable Kingdoms by Dayton Ward Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
nickyboy wrote: View Post
Finished the book about 30 mins ago. It is good book, but the weakest of the The Fall series.[...]
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
[...]
My rankings would be, from best to worst:
So - Peaceable Kingdoms, weaker than even Revelation and Dust?

This is...quite damning.
I enjoyed reading Revelation and Dust. Can't really say the same for Peaceable Kingdoms. Obviously that is totally subjective, but I feel that's okay for rankings like this.

Mimi wrote: View Post
I think that's a matter of opinion, personally. To me, Revelation and Dust is still the weakest. Half the plot had nothing to do with The Fall. Its hard to come back from that.

I don't think this book is bad, or badly written. I enjoyed reading it well enough. But because it is the final entry of the series, it is going to hold the weight of any criticisms about The Fall in general. [For which there are quite a few.]
Part of what redeems Revelation and Dust for me is that there is much that is beautiful in it. I very strongly disagree with Edit_XYZ's (and others') characterization of it as a prologue and episode recap. There is something very profound and intimate that is going on as Kira sees, for the first time, what happened when Sisko first entered the wormhole. I also think it reveals something fundamental about the Prophets– but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Basically, I think there is a lot (a whole lot) more to RaD than there was to PK.

With the official release of the book and with more people reading it, I'm going to go ahead and post my very spoiler-heavy initial thoughts (written immediately after finishing the book), in spoiler code below. (In a few places, I have added clarifying material [in brackets].)

I think Mimi articulated very well some concerns that I shared about the "big picture" of the novel (though I don't in my review go into the particular concerns she laid out) and I think Nob Akimoto articulated very well some things I didn't like about the writing.

So, without further ado... (spoilers ahead, ye have been warned):

Lastly, thinking about this today made me realize just how much of the last several years of TrekLit has been political thriller. And, for the most part, that's been great. But, especially as I think about A Choice of Futures or The Body Electric, I do wonder what the cost of that has been. Has it really been worth not getting a dozen novels about exploring strange new worlds? I don't know.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote