View Single Post
Old January 1 2014, 05:01 AM   #667
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

211. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) (✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - It had a great message about getting out of your head and learning to live life but the execution was a little off. The story was a bit unfocussed and meandered a little too much. It felt like the trailer filled in with more padding. This is more of an observation than a complaint though. The movie was funny, poignant and Ben Stiller was great and brought his usual brand of humor to the role. Reading more about the movie, I see that this project has been in development limbo since the early 90s. First Jim Carrey was attached, then other names came along like Mike Myers, Owen Wilson, Sasha Baron Cohen and Johnny Depp, all of whom would have been good too. Another thing… I was surprised to see that the theatre I was at was nearly empty. Only seven people were there, while The Wolf of Wall Street was sold out.

212. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947) (✩✩✩˝) - Download - I found out that there was a 1947 version, so I decided to watch that as well. Both movies are based on the same short story but this one is a little different. The title character is similar to the contemporary version in that he tunes out from time to time and lives in his own rich fantasies, but in this movie, he's engaged to be married, then meets a pretty woman and finds himself embroiled in a murder conspiracy. That's what shakes him out of his mundane life and idle fantasies in this movie. It stars Danny Kaye. I've never heard of him but with all the fantasy sequences featuring a lot of song and dance, I figured he was a real showman and that this movie was a vehicle for that and it looks like I was right. I'd say he's talented but a lot of his routines were pretty dated. Also, I think this was the first time I saw Boris Karloff without his Frankenstein make-up.

213. The Wolf of Wall Street (✩✩✩✩˝) - Theatre - A very good movie about the excesses of Wall Street. DiCaprio, Jonah Hill and the rest of the bunch brought an enormous amount of fun and energy to the film and the first hour and a half went by quite fast. I can't think of anything I don't like right now. Comments I've read say this is a man's movie and I hadn't thought of it that way but they're probably right given the hoards of strippers and hookers throughout. And I gotta say I loved every bit of it. The sexual component was well done. Dirty, funny and full of the same excess as the rest of the movie. I've also got Matthew McConaughey's cadence in my head right now. That scene encapsulates the kind of enthusiams for money and excess featured in the film and it's just plain catchy. I heard that McConaughey improvised it. Obviously Scorsese liked it too because it plays during the end credits. Another fun bit of info… Apparently the cast actually snorted crushed vitamine pills when the scenes called for cocaine use. And yeah, there was a lot of that too.

This concludes my movie viewing for 2013. Only 213 movies, down from last year's 360. I'd say that's an improvement.

Theatre: 31
Blu-ray: 10
DVD: 21
Netflix: 11
Live TV: 29
Download: 107
YouTube: 3
Screening: 1
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote