View Single Post
Old December 29 2013, 03:23 AM   #37
Elder Knight
Captain

Re: Has Star Trek had more hours made for the screen than any other?

Maurice wrote: View Post
In total for Star Trek TV shows (including TAS) and movies, it's roughly 542 hours (based on minutes per progam).

[EDIT]I previously missed the "rule" about limiting the comparison to sci-fi shows, but I think that's just a way to set the rules to make sure Star Trek wins.[end edit]
Gunsmoke, which ran for 20 seasons, 6 as a half hour show (233 episodes) and 14 as an hour show (402 episodes), totals about 449 hours for TV, and that's a SINGLE show, not a franchise. There was also a short-lived spinoff called Dirty Sally which ran for 13 episodes for another 5.2 hours of programming, so make that 454 hours.

I realize the topic is "made for the screen" but I think it's worth pointing out that Gunsmoke started as a half hour radio show, with 422 half hour episodes totaling about 183 hours, which would mean that if you mash up radio and TV you get 637 hours of Gunsmoke alone.

Hell, All In the Family and its spinoffs account for 816 episodes and 345 hours.
There was another TV Western, The Virginian, which ran in 90-minute weekly installments for many years. I once read that James Drury and Doug McClure were therefore the most-filmed actors ever. Not sure whether that's true or ever was, but you may want to consider that.

Supposedly, the announcer, not used to such things, read some bumper bit as "And now the third half of The Virginian."
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote