View Single Post
Old December 28 2013, 10:30 PM   #20
Therin of Andor
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: 'Relics': missed opportunity?

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Could've been passable if they'd used someone like Saavik or Carol Marcus, or someone else of lesser consequence, but I agree it wasn't really a worthwhile effort
As I said, every character has their fans. You might believe Saavik or Carol are of "no consequence", but starting "Relics" with the off-screen death of Saavik would have totally derailed the episode for Saavik appreciators.

(Of course, the arrival of Scotty derailed the Dyson Sphere. Even when a TNG novel investigated the Dyson Sphere, it was kinda derailed by a completely solid Starfleet vessel being casually hollowed out by its Horta crew.)

I am reminded of my own minor outrage when Garrovick, a particular favourite of mine, whom I'd used in fanfic, was announced as having just been killed in the movie-era novel, "Home is the Hunter". I still enjoyed the book, but what an awful way to start a story: using a known character as an offscreen redshirt death. With little followup, other than Kirk's moodiness.

At least Tasha's onscreen death had a heartfelt payoff with her funeral and eulogy.

By the way, the "Relics" novelization does introduce us to Ensign Franklin, who has straw-yellow hair, and the book gives some other nice bonus scenes (including another scene of a holographic reunion for Scotty with his old bridge crew, which would have been included in the episode if time and money had allowed).
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @

Last edited by Therin of Andor; December 28 2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: typos
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote