View Single Post
Old December 26 2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Jarvisimo
Commander

Re: TF: Peaceable Kingdoms by Dayton Ward Review Thread (Spoilers!)

^^ I totally agree about numbering books!! It may help people collect sets, but equally it disuade readers from getting books in a long-numbered series?

But really, I do wish there was a lot less explaining of past events in Trek books in general! Perhaps it is a silly annoyance, especially as new readers do need some explanation - but there are some other long-form tie-in fiction series where explanation is kept to a minimum, if at all used. For example another series that James Swallow contributes to - Black Library's flagpole Horus Heresy line (as well as several of their other lines) all seem to have minimal continuity explanation.

Of course this isn't always the case. I really loved The Crimson Shadow. Didn't it have very few continuity explanations (or indeed any explanations) of past book events? I think one just was assumed to probably have read Revelation and Dust, A Stitch in Time and The Never-Ending Sacrifice, as well as perhaps The Lotus Flower. It certainly made a smooth text even smoother. Other authors do the same too, but sometimes there is a lot of historical dumping (for example so heavily, if perhaps understandably, in Revelation and Dust).

Sorry for my complaint - it is perhaps unfair, but I sometimes wished the authors were released from obligations to explain ANYWAY, I can't wait to read Peaceable Kingdoms!!!
Jarvisimo is offline   Reply With Quote