View Single Post
Old December 26 2013, 03:25 PM   #36
Warped9
Admiral

Re: The Motion Picture question..

BillJ wrote: View Post
I rank TMP as my favorite Trek film. So yes I think it was a good start.
Same.

The Old Building & Loan wrote: View Post
TMP comes off as much more of a standalone than part of the TOS movie series that follows.
Not a bad thing. And it was inevitable given TWOK is esentially a reboot. They pushed the setting forward in time and never again made any reference whatsoever to the events of TMP. It was treated as if it never happened. And yet I feel TMP feels more connected to TOS than most of anything else that followed.

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
One specific factor raises TMP's standing in my opinion--

With each subsequent ST film that AGAIN features an evil villain bent on destruction and AGAIN a space battle climax... TMP goes up a little more in my rankings.

TMP remains a highpoint if only to remind me that a Star Trek film does NOT need to be about evil supervillains and space battles EVERY TIME.
Definitely.

Lance wrote: View Post
While I do appreciate the dramatic pathos that the 'Kirk, his crew and their ship are all dinosaurs in a new age' vibe the rest of the TOS movies work so hard to perpetuate, I also think it's such a shame that TMP is the only time we see the refit Enterprise as fresh, shiny and in mint condition. By TWOK, even the Enterprise is seen as a raggedy-ann starship whose best days are behind it (hardly a dignified bearing for the old girl). And while the 1701-A is a spruced up ship in TFF, nothing on her works in that movie, so she's really just as knackered as the old model.

There is something to be said for the simple majesty the ship carries itself with throughout TMP. Sure, she has teething issues. But they aren't major, and they certainly don't imply the ship is a has-been on the fringe of retirement.
A definite issue with me as well. I never cared for how the Enterprise was treated from TWOK oneard.

Last edited by Warped9; December 26 2013 at 03:59 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote