View Single Post
Old December 24 2013, 11:31 PM   #70
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Re: Would a series set after voyager have been more of a success

Coach Comet wrote: View Post
I'd also be interested to see what can support and, more importantly, prove the claim that Star Trek's decline in ratings wasn't its own fault in terms of not delivering a product that people wanted to watch, but rather that its decline can be blamed solely on market-wide trends in cable viewing habits, starting with trends in the viewership of syndicated programming. That issue seems to me to be one of the main ones that sparked our little back and forth here.
Let me help you out on this one. I wrote:
Considering the ratings decline in many shows, including DS9's, were directly related to the contraction of the market for syndicated TV, TNG would likely have suffered as well.
Nowhere did I posit a monocausal explanation for the decline of DS9's ratings. I merely made note of the changing environment in which many syndicated shows of the late 1990s dealt with. So, no, I don't need to prove such a claim because I did not make it.

I'd be interesting to know why, and by what metric, Baywatch didn't do very well in syndication, for starters.
Another claim I did not make. Baywatch did quite well in the first half of its syndicated run. It was only in the last half of the 1990s that it ran into trouble.

Nah, I've said enough in this thread for the time being. Why don't you post some links to back up what you're saying?
The information that is required is not readily available on the internet. It requires a university library. Since you are the one disputing my assertion, it's up to you to put forward evidence.
Bad Thoughts is online now   Reply With Quote