View Single Post
Old December 20 2013, 11:12 PM   #29
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: The TWOK Enterprise's torpedo bay revisited

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I know you guys get picky about what counts and what doesn't in these discussions, but I should point out that according to Star Trek: Enterprise, that TMP Klingon battlecruiser is far from new. They also used it's aft torpedo tube in "Unexpected". We also saw the USS Defiant NCC-1764 fire aft phasers and photon torpedoes in "In a Mirror, Darkly" ("Does this thing have aft torpedoes?" "You'd better believe it... they're armed!")
Actually, I had been wondering how long it would take a member of the retcon faction to weigh in.

Since I believe in "first come, first served" my starting point is the TOS Klingon Battlecruiser.

The ship fired its disruptor bolts from the warp engines (maybe that's what inspired Starfleet engineers to draw phaser power from the engines / engine core for the TMP Enterprise?) while the function of the "mouth" or hole in the main section was never explained.
However, since we did see warp capable vessels with parabolic sensor dishes like the SS Aurora in "The Way to Eden" (at the front of the warp nacelles) I'm rather confident that the hole was intended to house a main sensor-deflector dish inside.

The TOS Enterprise had no visible torpedo launchers but on the Klingon Battlecruiser these were that big?
(just for the fun of it, I'd like to see a size comparison of the Battlecruiser's launchers compared to those of the TMP Enterprise compared to a Klingon Bird-of-Prey )

Then came TAS and added a strange barrel ahead of the hole which was now used to fire torpedoes.
However, there was obviously no aft torpedo launcher.

Next, TMP adopted the TAS interpretation (a changed premise, IMHO) and added an aft torpedo launcher (another topic for the "TAS-is-not-canon" debate. Looks like somebody wanted to have cake, and eat it, too ).

Nevertheless, there's one thing to consider when comparing a Klingon Battlecruiser aft launcher with the "new" aft launcher of the TWOK Enterprise: With the Klingon design an aft torpedo could go astray but it couldn't accidentally hit any vital components of the ship because it is launched from the stern (which, ironically, also applies for the TNG Enterprise).

There is no "official" hint for a TMP Enterprise aft launcher. IMO, it's merely an inevitable conclusion from the red torpedo bay Section 4 scene in TWOK. And even there it's inconclusive whether that launcher could or should actually fire photon torpedoes or whether it might be restricted to probes and other non-hazardous projectiles. A photon torpedo accidentally hitting the warp nacelle pylons would have quite an undesired effect.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote